Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Lucky To (not) Be There


On my way to a meeting last Thursday morning, I slammed on my bike brakes and couldn't believe the sight across the street: a large truck sitting sideways on top of the rubble that used to be a sign for my sub-district's matayom school. As I took out my digital camera for snapshots of the accident, a couple working at a nearby fruit stand yelled, "SA-LAA SA-LAA", motioning me to come over. The middle-aged woman in her mango-stained apron exclaimed how happy she was to see that I was safe, while her equally-relieved husband explained that the truck swerved off the road towards the school around 11:30 AM Wednesday.

Around 11:25 AM last Wednesday, I remember saying goodbye to the Community Development Officer as I hopped on my bike to head to the matayom school for an 11:30 meeting with the principal. As I was about to leave, the Assistant Community Development Officer Pii Bim insisted that I stay for lunch with her and some of the administrative staff. I hesitated at the thought of delaying my meeting, but Pii Bim persuaded me to turn my bike around and take off my helmet as I called the principal to reschedule.

Pii Bim, thank you for keeping me at the office longer than expected and thank you for making me lucky to not be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment