Tuesday, January 1, 2013

A Very Thai Christmas

Magazine paper Christmas trees topped with printer-paper wrapper stars
As I prepared for my departure to Miami three weeks ago, Thai co-workers and neighbors asked me about Christmas traditions and celebrations back home. Once I described gift exchanges, Christmas tree decorations, and Santa Claus, the neighborhood kids wanted to have Christmas celebrations of their own. Since organizing a meet-and-greet with Santa at my site was beyond my volunteer job description, we settled for recycled crafts, English games, and a gift exchange. I was happy to spread Christmas cheer around my village, but the community was even happier to munch on their candy canes and unwrap their presents. I can't wait to celebrate the holidays with the neighborhood in 2013!

Toilet paper rolls + paints and markers = eco-friendly gift boxes
Christmas cards with the English Games Club kids; Yim's the most excited of the bunch
After a lesson on Christmas traditions, the neighborhood kids suggested we have a gift exchange party one weekend. 
Get puchai (boy) is surprised by his Barbie coin jar, while Get puying (girl) is second-guessing her box of kanoms (snacks) 
Fifth graders pair up for a round of Christmas Bingo
The fourth graders sit for a lesson on Christmas vocabulary as I try to draw out Christmas lights
After-school Christmas origami lesson in the primary school library *ho ho ho*

No comments:

Post a Comment